India is a country of mystique and awe. It’s home to some of the most astonishingly beautiful landscapes on earth, as well as an incredibly diverse population. Whether you’re a traveler or just curious about India, these ten wonders are a must-see.
Table of Contents
The Taj Mahal is one of the most renowned and popular tourist destinations in India. The mausoleum was built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his late wife Mumtaz Mahal. The white marble palace, with its elaborate marble decoration and minarets, is a stunning sight. It’s been described as one of the Seven Wonders of the World. Also, Read: Duplicate Taj Mahal: Travel Guide for Travelers
The Golden Temple, located in Amritsar, Punjab, is one of the most important and popular sites in India. The temple is home to the famous Guru Granth Sahib, which is the religious text of the Sikhs. The temple was built in 1765 by Emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife Mumtaz Mahal. It is one of the largest and most elaborately decorated temples in India.
Agra Fort is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India and rightly so. This UNESCO World Heritage Site is a must see for anyone visiting India. The fort was built by Emperor Akbar in 1565 and has remained largely unchanged since then. The fort is surrounded by a large, well-maintained wall with numerous gates that are open to visitors daily. Along the fort’s walls are hundreds of buildings, including palaces, towers, mosques and tombs. There are also many gardens and lakes within the fort complex. Agra Fort is incredibly well-preserved and provides an excellent overview of Islamic architecture in India.
Hampi is one of the most visited Hindu temples in India. It is also one of the most mysterious places on earth. Hampi was originally built in the 12th century by the Vijayanagara Empire, but went largely unnoticed until it was rediscovered by a British traveler named A. H. Rhys Davids in 1881.
The ruins at Hampi are now a UNESCO World Heritage Site and are filled with intricate carvings, statues, and religious murals. The highlight of the site is the enormous main temple complex, which features some of India’s most elaborate architecture and sculptures.
Known for its backwaters and lush green jungles, Kerala is a beguiling destination on the Indian subcontinent. With plenty of colonial-era architecture to explore and beaches to relax on, there’s something for everyone in Kerala. Highlights include the state’s famous spice plantations, the vibrant city of Kochi, and the tranquil backwaters of Idukki.
- The stunningly beautiful Goa is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. With its crystal clear waters, lush vegetation and breathtaking beaches, it is sure to leave a lasting impression on visitors.
- The state is well known for its traditional Hindu temples and churches as well as for its nightlife and casinos. There are also a number of interesting historical sites to explore, such as the famous Candolim Beach and Anjuna Village.
- If you’re looking for an adrenalin-pumping holiday, there’s no shortage of activities on offer in Goa, from swimming with dolphins to zip lining in the canopy of the rainforest. And if you’re not feeling adventurous, there’s always plenty of things to do within the quaint colonial townships that dot the coastlines.
Karnataka is a state in southern India that occupies an area of 222,213 square kilometers. The capital and largest city is Bangalore. The state is bordered by Tamil Nadu to the south, Andhra Pradesh to the southeast, Maharashtra to the west and Gujarat to the north. Karnataka is home to several tourist destinations including Hampi, Badami and Pattadakal.
Orissa is a state in eastern India. It was initially part of the Bombay Presidency, but was made a separate province in 1956. Located on the east coast of India, Orissa is bordered by the Bay of Bengal to the south and west, Andhra Pradesh to the south-east, and Karnataka to the north-west. The state has an area of 147,201 square kilometers and a population of 27 million. The capital city is Cuttack.
The state is famous for its beaches, temples, forests and industries like textiles. Some of the most famous tourist attractions in Orissa are Jagannath Temple at Puri, Kalinga Math at Bhubaneswar and Muktinath Temple at Gangotri.
Tamil Nadu is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. The state is known for its beaches, temples, and golden temples. There are many things to see in Tamil Nadu, including the following:
- The Temple of Karthikeya at Mylapore: This temple is dedicated to Kartikeya, one of the Hindu gods. It’s considered a holy place and pilgrims come from all over India to visit it.
- The Golden Temple at Amaravati: The Golden Temple is located in Amaravati city and it’s one of the most popular tourist destinations in Tamil Nadu. It’s dedicated to the Hindu god Vishnu and it’s filled with intricate gold decorations.
India is a country with a lot to offer tourists. From bustling cities to awe-inspiring landscapes, there’s something for everyone in India. If you’re planning a trip to India soon, be sure to check out these 10 must-see wonders of this incredible country!